CHECKLIST: ISSUING A VERBAL WARNING
Click here if you would like to print this page
1. Have you engaged the employee about the alleged breach of the workplace rule or standard, and allowed the employee an opportunity to respond?
2. Have you taken into consideration the employee's response?
3. Has the employee breached a workplace rule or standard?
4. Was the rule or standard reasonable?
5. Was the employee aware, or could reasonably be expected to be aware, of the rule or standard?
6. Has the rule or standard been consistently applied?
7. Is a verbal warning appropriate for this misconduct?
8. Have you issued the verbal warning in a corrective manner, to gain the employee's maximum co-operation in ensuring that the employee will in future comply with the required rule or standard?
9. Have you explained the consequences of future non-compliance with the rule or standard to the employee?
10. Have you complied with your internal disciplinary procedure?